Locking your doors is a great necessity for securing your home. However, the majority of burglars enter homes by breaking the windows or jamming the door locks. Thus the obvious question arises: Who is watching your family and assets when you are away from home, at work, shopping, or on a family vacation? Before you put it off any longer, you may want to consider these facts:
In 2010, there were more than two million home burglaries in the United States. Over 70 percent of those took place in residential homes, reports the Federal Bureau of Investigations. Furthermore, the victims of these burglaries claimed an estimated $4.6 billion in lost property, and the average dollar value lost per burglary was $2,119.
Here are five reasons why you should have a home security:
1. Detect smoke, fire and carbon monoxide – Many homes have burned down due to faulty fire alarms or ones with dead batteries. There have also been many cases of residents who had to be sent to hospitals because of carbon monoxide poisoning, of which of course, they were not aware until it was too late.
2. Deter potential crime – Prevention is the key to dealing with any traumatic situations. Many criminals do not even attempt to break into homes that they can see are secure. Easy targets make better business for them.
3. Protect your family and assets – Is saving a few dollars worth the loss of your precious and priceless valuables? Think about the aftermaths that victims have to experience, only to realize too late that they should have invested in a very affordable system that could have prevented much needless heartache.
4. Qualify for discounts on your home insurance – Almost every insurance companies looks favorably upon homeowners and residents who value and take care of their security to prevent loss and thus, save them money. This allows the companies to pass the savings onto you.
5. Control your home remotely while away – If you ever wondered if your young children or your disable mother is alright at home while you are way for long hours at work, you don’t have to. There are many options for you to be able to monitor them wherever you are with a simple internet connection. In this case, you can really buy peace of mind.
Some of these tips may seem obvious, but neglecting small details is usually what causes crime to be committed more easily. Perpetrators, regardless of their specialties, always choose the path of least resistance to get their job done, which is to rob you. Prevention is the primary objective by showing them your property is secure, and second is minimizing loss while catching the criminals.